The hotel was a stopping place en-route to the Gippsland gold fields.
Originally known as the Border Hotel, the old inn was named after the
border town Berwick-on-Tweed in the United Kingdom.
Part of the present building dates from the first license of 1857 when
Robert Bain kept the tap. It was renamed the Old Berwick Inn in 1863.
In May 1865 it became the site of the first Police Court and was the
meeting place for the Berwick District Road Board.