The former BERWICK MECHANIC'S INSTITUTE is a free library still in operation after more than 130 years.
First opened on another site in 1862,
the institution and the building moved to its present site in 1878
when a 500 year lease was signed with the land owner and hotel keeper
Brian Bain. The lease was surrendered in 1980 when part of the old
building was incorporated in a new library.
The Mechanics' Institute holds some important local
collections, notably those bequeathed by the Casey family.